Monday, April 4, 2011

Birds & Golf

Scattered flurries have not dampened my excitement for the return of birds and golf this spring. Sunday I was on campus for a preview day talking about golf and saw a tentative schedule from the Athletic Director. Seven meets in four weeks with the conference tournament being the only one partially on a weekend. I'm fortunate to have a wonderful AD to work with!

Before going to campus I also sent out the following email Sunday morning. I'm hopeful that a few individuals from campus, Marshfield, and the surrounding areas will join me for the bird walks on campus.

Dear campus associates,

As many of know I am outdoor enthusiast and I am passing along a personal invitation for anyone to join me in one or more of the birding opportunities listed below.

Next month I will lead two Bird Walks at the Wood open to anyone. These walks will be held on Tuesday May 3rd 8:10 am and Wednesday May 11th at 8:10 am. We'll walk through and around the Arboretum searching for local birds that have returned and hopefully find spring migrants on their way further north. Meet at the
south side of the parking lot on W 7th St near the trail to the tennis courts. Bring binoculars if you have them. Wear boots as the Arboretum will likely be wet and muddy.

On April 9th I will be attending the
WSO and ALAS sponsored Field Trip at the Mead Wildlife Area. This field trip will be led by Dan Belter and Gerry Janz and is open to birders of all levels. If interested meet at 7:30 am at the Mead Wildlife Visitor Center or carpool from Wausau or Marshfield with me. Bad weather may cancel the field-trip, with cancelations typically posted on the Wisconsin Birding list.

I will be conducting a
Red-shouldered Hawk survey twice between April 13th and April 24th. This survey begins at sunrise and is approximately four hours long. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I will try to accommodate dates with good weather forecasted that work for those interested.

I will be conducting an
Owl survey during the next two weeks. This survey is a night survey and last approximately three hours. It needs to take place at least a half an hour after sunset and must be finished a half an hour before sunrise. If anyone is interested, please let me know asap and we can find a night with good weather forecasted to conduct the survey.

Enjoying the return of our feathered friends,

Malcolm Gold


If I had to pick only one season, it would definitely be spring!

No comments: