Thursday, April 21, 2011

Red-shouldered Hawk Survey

Last month I volunteered for an Owl Survey route and a Red-Shouldered Hawk survey route. I completed the Owl route two weeks ago, but have had trouble getting the Hawk surveys in due to weather. I attempted to complete the survey this past Saturday, but when snowfall started during the second of twelve stops and I had to cancel. With calm weather forecasted I was hopeful that I could complete the first of two routes. Luckily I was able to complete the twelve ten minute observations this morning and only had to deal with fog. Temperature in the 20s caused thick fog around low lying areas early this morning. As a result I took an hour break in the middle of the survey to wait for the fog to burn off, but overall it was a beautiful morning to be outside.


The highlight was finding two Red-Shouldered Hawks, one that flew directly over my head at tree top height! Two survey routes and success on both....awesome!


I'm hoping Christine and I get out birding a couple of times this weekend also. Michaela and Danielle are visiting Grandparents while I have my spring department meetings tomorrow and Saturday in Fond du Lac.


Below is a list of observed species.

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Ruffed Grouse
Wild Turkey
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Sandhill Crane
Wilson's Snipe
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle

No comments: