Friday, January 9, 2009

Job Status: First Fly Back

Just in case you missed the story/update over the holidays, I am finally finishing school. I will still be enrolled next semester at University of Wisconsin, but plan on defending my dissertation after the spring semester. Part of the finishing process is being on the job market your last year.

I sent out many applications in October and November. I had 19 interviews to date with most of them taking place at the American Economist Association annual meetings which were held in San Francisco this year. Universities, Colleges, Government Agencies, and Private Institutions were all there and interviewing. It was a wonderful experience to meet so many like minded people, and so nice to have such a coordinated job search process for both future employers and employees. I still have one more phone interview next Monday, but otherwise I am mostly done with the first round of interviews.

I have heard back on four of these first round interviews, with three negatives and one positive. The next round of interviewing includes a fly back to the campus/institution and having a more complete interview. On an academic fly back I will make a research presentation, meet the entire faculty rather than just the search/interviewing committee, possibly teach part of a class, and possibly meet the provost/dean/or other school administrators. The fly back is important to both the future employer as well as future employee, as it allows for each side to determine whether the other is the best fit for the future.

Hopefully I will hear more positive news in the near future, but for the time being Christine and I are just so excited to have one fly back!!!

3 comments:

Micah said...

Yay! We're so excited for you! However, selfishly, we're bummed about the possibility of losing ANOTHER set of econ friends to some far-away college campus! Boo to that. :(

Good luck anyway!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulation to You! I have really been thinking of you and wondering how things went. Good wishes to all of you.

Steph

Aubrey said...

Yay! We're super excited to hear that things are moving forward with positive results. Can't wait to see what the Good Lord has planned.